Butter Peas and Lettuce
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
-5 small stalks green garlic, thinly sliced, or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
-Kosher salt, to taste
-1 ½ cups fresh or frozen green peas
-2 small heads of lettuce (about 6 oz.), washed, cored, and torn into large pieces
-Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoon of butter in 12” skillet over medium heat; add garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add peas and cook until bright green and tender (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in remaining butter, along with lettuce and 1 tablespoon water, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. Stir until lettuce is just wilted, about 1 minute.
Green Pea and Mint Pesto Dip
-1 (10-ounce) can peas or frozen
-½ cup grated Parmesan
-1 garlic clove
-¼ cup fresh mint leaves
-1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
-1/3 cup olive oil
Add peas, Parmesan, garlic fresh mint, salt, and pepper in a food processor and pulse to combine. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and serve.
Spicy Shrimp and Kidney Bean Soup
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-3 cloves garlic, chopped
-1 medium celery rib, chopped
-2 green onions, chopped
-1 (12 ounce can kidney beans, drained
-1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
-1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
-¾ cup water
-1 sprig fresh dill
-12 ounces medium shrimp- peeled and deveined
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, celery, and green onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender (about 3 minutes)
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, and water. Bring to a boil. Stir in dill, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp, and simmer until shrimp are ready (about 5 minutes)- ready to serve.
Tuscan Style Bean Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ cups kidney beans cooked
2 teaspoons chopped, fresh thyme
½ cup seashell pasta
Ground black pepper to taste
**Pasta and spinach optional addition
- In a large pot over medium high heat, combine the oil, onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the red pepper and sauté for 3 more minutes. Add the broth, tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the thyme, spinach and pasta (optional). Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Three Bean SalaD
-1 (15.5 ounce) can blackeye peas, drained and rinsed
-1 (15.5 ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
-1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
-1 red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
-3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
-2 packets salad and vegetable seasoning
-1 tablespoon lemon juice
-½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- In large serving bowl, mix together blackeye peas, chick peas, kidney peas, cucumbers, pepper, and cilantro
- In small bowl, whisk together vinegar, salad, vegetable seasoning and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly, until blended. Pour dressing over bean mixture. Toss well to coat completely.
Fettuccine with Olive Oil, Garlic, and Red Pepper
-¼ cup olive oil, divided
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-3 ¼ teaspoons salt
-8 ounces uncooked fettuccine
-½ cup (2ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
-1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2-teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Bring ¾ pot of water and 1-tablespoon salt to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes or until almost al dente. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid.
- Add hot pasta reserved cooking liquid, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, add cheese to garlic mixture.
- Increase heat to medium-high; cook 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente, tossing to combine. Remove from heat. Add parsley; toss. Place 1 ½ cups pasta to each of 4 plates; drizzle each serving with1 ½ teaspoons olive oil.
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-½ cup brown sugar
-½ cup white sugar
-2 teaspoon baking powder
-½ teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-¾ cup milk
-½ cup margarine, melted
-1 (29 ounce) can sliced canned peaches, drained
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla. Pour milk into dry ingredients, and then stir in melted margarine. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking pan. Arrange peaches on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
-1 (16ounce) can be refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
-4 apples- peeled, cored and halved
-1 cup white sugar
-½ cup butter melted
-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
-½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat over to 350F (175 degree C)
- Butter a 7x11 inch-baking pan. Separate biscuit dough into 8 pieces. Flatten each piece of dough into a circle. Wrap one biscuit around each apple half and place, seam side down in a pan.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, water, melted butter and vanilla Pour mixture over dumplings in pan. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake 35-45 minutes, until golden. Serve hot.
Quick and Easy Butter Chicken
-1 ½ lbs (675g) skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
-3 tablespoons (45ml) butter)
-1 tablespoon (15ml) curry powder)
-½ teaspoon (2.5ml) garlic powder
-1 can 10 oz (284ml) condensed tomato paste, undiluted
-10 oz (284ml) milk (measured in the soup can)
- In a large non-stick skillet over high heat, brown chicken thighs in butter with curry and garlic power. Add tomato paste and milk
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Add pepper to taste. Serve with rice if preferred.
Simple Tuna Pasta Salad
-12 ounces of pasta shells or 12 ounces macaroni, cooked and drained
-12 ounces canned tuna
-1 cup chopped celery
-1 cup chopped sweet pepper
-1 ½ cups of mayonnaise (this amount is estimated) or 1 ½ cup Miracle whip
-Salt and pepper
Combine the cooked and drained pasta with the drained tuna, chopped celery, sweet pepper, and mayonnaise, using only enough mayonnaise for the salad to be creamy. (If it’s made ahead, you may need more because the pasta will absorb the mayo) Chill at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Sweet potato & pea curry
-3 tablespoons curry paste
-1 onion, finely chopped
-450g potatoes, cut into chunks
-2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
-600ml vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
-400ml can coconut milk
-175g frozen peas
-Small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat the curry paste in a large pan and stir in the onion. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the Potatoes, stock and coconut milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the curry for 20 minutes until the potatoes has softened. Add the peas, bring back to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Season to taste and spoon the curry into bowls. Scatter over the coriander before you tuck in.
Stir-Fried Chinese Egg Noodles
-8 ounce Chinese Egg noodles
-1 tablespoon canola oil
-1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
-5 garlic cloves, minced
-3 green onions, diagonally sliced
-¼ cup soy sauce
-1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
-1 tablespoon sesame oil
-1 tablespoon chile paste (such as sambal oelek)
-2 large eggs
-2 cups spinach, trimmed
- Cook the egg noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and green onions; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Combine soy sauce and the next 5 ingredients (through chile paste), stirring well. Stir soy sauce mixture into mushroom mixture; bring to a boil.
- Add noodles to pan; toss to coat. Add eggs; cook 2 minutes or until eggs are set, tossing well. Remove from heat; stir in spinach.
Black-Eyed Peas and Greens
-½ chopped onion
-2 cups of water
-½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
-½ teaspoon salt
-1 (1 pound) bag or can of black-eyed peas
-1 (12-ounce) bunch fresh turnip greens, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
-2 tablespoons pepper vinegar
**Add bacon if desired
Add onion to drippings in pan; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and the next 5 ingredients (through greens); bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 55 minutes or until peas are tender, stirring occasionally and skimming as necessary. Stir in vinegar. Ladle about 1 1/3 cups pea mixture into 4 bowls; top evenly with crumbled bacon
Black Bean Soup
-1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
-1 chopped onion
-1 garlic, minced
-2 carrots, chopped
-2 tea spoons of chilli powder
-4 cups vegetable stock
-2 (15 ounce) cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
-1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
-1 (14.5 ounce) can of stewed tomatoes
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, and carrots, then begin to stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add chili powder; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add stock, 1 can of the beans, corn and pepper; bring to boil. Use a blender to puree together tomatoes and remaining can of beans; add to pot. Reduce heat, cover, and allow the food to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
HOMEMADE PANINI’S USING THE GRILL
-Any sort of Meat
-Your choice of dressing
-Topping of your choice: onions, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, pickles etc.
Take bread and slice it; add dressing; add meat; fill with your favourite toppings. Lightly butter the outside of the bread. Place bread in your Grill and put top down. Peek to see after 3-4 minutes, if your bread has browned it is ready to go.
-1 loaf of bread
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tsp. sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla
-butter for frying
- Add all ingredients, besides the bread, into a bowl and mix it well.
- Dip bread into mixture, until coated on both sides.
- Fry bread in buttered pan until golden brown. During this process, make sure you use an adequate sized fry pan so the edges of the bread don’t touch it.
-1 pound of ground beef
-1 can of tomato paste
-1 onion, chopped
-1 tsp. pepper
-1 tsp. salt
- Add chopped onions, salt and pepper in pan and cook thoroughly until browned; add finely chopped garlic. Add ground beef with the onion until it is nicely cooked. Chop tomatoes and add it to the pan until softened, then add the tomato paste. Let sauce simmer.
- Meanwhile boil water and cook the pasta. After the pasta is thoroughly cooked from the boiled water, drain the water and add the sauce to the pasta.
Roasted Chickpea Snack
-1 can of chickpeas
-Pinch of salt
-Pinch of ground black pepper
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-½ teaspoon chili powder
-1 tablespoon ground cumin
-1 dash crushed red pepper
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees F (175 C). Wisk the oil and spices together in a small bowl; add the chickpeas and toss them to coat.
- Spread the chickpeas into a single layer on a baking sheet
- Roast in the preheated over, stirring occasionally.
- Remove once nicely browned and slightly crispy, about 45 minutes
-1 box of vegetable broth
-Chopped Vegetables (spinach, green beans, cabbage, carrots etc.) -2 cups of egg noodles
Heat vegetable broth until simmering. Stir in a handful of egg noodles and simmer until cooked through or warmed. Stir in a handful of chopped veggies and cook just until wilted. If adding carrots, boil them before adding them to the soup to soften. Scoop and serve.
Tuna Mini Sandwiches
-1 small can tuna in oil
-2 leafs of lettuce, chopped finely
-1 teaspoon of mustard or relish
- Drain can of tuna.
- In a small bowl, stir tuna, reserved oil, lettuce and mustard together. Divide tuna mixture among 5 of the crackers and top with remaining crackers.
1 can red kidney beans
1 can chickpeas
1 can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon of oil
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 stock cube (or chili powder and/or salt & pepper to taste)
½ cup rice
-Corn, chopped celery, mushrooms, peppers, chopped potato
Drain then rinse kidney beans and chickpeas. Heat large saucepan on medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add oil, chopped garlic and onion. Fry until softened. Add all other ingredients except chili powder and bring to boil. Reduce heat and add chili and salt and pepper and any other spices for taste. Simmer for about 1 hour, adding water if necessary. Serve topped with grated cheese. Enjoy with green salad and whole wheat bread for a complete meal.